Wednesday, September 08, 2010

THE OTHER SIDE OF SNOW

Once upon a time, I wrote of snow. I will bore others elsewhere with that, but for now: a long spiel referencing, naturally, the ‘whiteness’, how it covers up our messes temporarily in transcendent, homogenous beauty. But. Once upon a time, the water lines in my trailer froze. I resourcefully melted snow to flush my toilet. We should all at least once in our lives melt that delirious whiteness. It was so full of dirt, mucousy, floating fibrils, scum rising to the top that to think I had on younger occasions put that in my mouth makes me want to gag at the thought. A later perspective has me appreciating our immune system!
The 60’s were full of people who thought they knew what they were saying and doing and they said, comically so they thought; “Don’t eat yellow snow!” But that is a red herring; a partial truth to mislead you into thinking white snow is edible! DO NOT be fooled by the whiteness! EAT NO SNOW!
Almost everything has at least 3 sides and I can tell a few of them, one above, the other elsewhere and here’s a third: sometimes I imagine a chorus of souls that watch and attend us earthlings awaiting their ride on this whirled palace. I have to say, really, that art makes of here what it is not, ignoring blood red of tooth and claw in favor of “love”, “beauty”, “courage”, “honesty” etc ad nausea. Sometimes I want to warn those attending souls that would be born: don’t do it, it’s a trap! I imagine some vague Star Trek-like show where the prisoners are forced to send for reinforcements/rescuers so that their captors would have more slaves or fodder. Or maybe a scary movie where the entire audience cued by common sense and foreboding music wants to shout at the naïf on screen, “Don’t open the door!” or “Don’t answer the phone!” You get it. Yet mute we sit watching the horror unfold because sometimes, just sometimes life is good. Maybe 2% of our awake time. But it’s enough. Today 98% of the people scowled or ignored me, but 1 pretty woman smiled. One handsome man held the door. Though all my friends will die, as has most of my family, today no one I know died. It’s a good day. Though 25,000 people will starve to death today, I will not. Etc ad finitum and we keep paddling our little boat called the “It Could Be Worse!” or in my case “The Other Side of Snow”.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home